Goal: To educate the staff on the importance
of understanding cultural diversity and behavior of diverse learners as well as
to implement behavior interventions for the diverse learners.
Action/Steps:
Identify the number of students that are
frequently having discipline issues in class. Examine if the demographics of
the students are those of A frican American, Hispanic, special education,
economically disadvantaged
Person Responsible:
Principal, Assistant principal, teachers and
students at Bowie Elementary
Timeline:
I would like to examine a 6 week period of
students discipline referrals and then use a 6 week period to train, educate
and implement behavior interventions with the classroom teachers for diverse
learners. Last I would like to monitor
the progress over a 6 week period. So
the timeframe would be for at least semester term.
Needed Resources:
Discipline referrals
Documentation on the students behavior
Literature and studies about teaching the
diverse learners
Evaluation:
The evaluation will be at the end of the
semester to see if the number of discipline referrals have decreased for the
diverse learners particularly those of 2 sub-groups African American and
Hispanics
I like your idea for your research plan. It is definitely an area of concern for many districts and grade levels. Consequently, I would focus on one or two grade levels in your elementary instead of the whole building. It would be interesting to see a comparison from one grade level, first for example, to the highest on your campus, whether that is fifth or sixth.
ReplyDeleteI also like your idea for researching diversity. I hadn't thought about the connection between diversity and the office referrals. The more I think about it the more I see your point that as teachers we don't always effectively handle diverse students in the classroom. My question is, in your goal you mention educating staff members on understanding cultural diversity and their behavior, but you do not mention training or presenting information to the staff in your action/steps section. You do mention it in the timeline, but I think you also need to mention it as an action or step and possibly break it down or be more specific on how you will train the staff.
ReplyDeleteWhat you have mentioned sounds feasible, but please load your full Action Research Plan template here so I can provide comments.
ReplyDeleteThanks,
Dr. Mason